- handwoven, hand-dyed sweetgrass & sisal
- white faux leather top handle
- pink faux leather adjustable shoulder strap
- lavender removable, hand-stitched linen pouch
- adjustable shoulder strap attaches to the top handle for optional cross-body
- 4.5" top handle, 22" removable shoulder strap
- height 5", width 5"
Handmade by female artisans and refugees in Rwanda, Indego Africa’s Abalone Collection takes inspiration from the spirits of its makers—these basket bags are full of color, charm, and strength. The designs are both a celebration of traditional Rwandan weaving using locally-sourced, natural materials, and a direct collaboration with artisans who benefit from our market-driven approach to women’s empowerment.
Behind the Design: Indego Africa's signature sweetgrass baskets are handwoven with heart by artisans in Rwanda. Practicing a time-honored Rwandan weaving technique, the artisans use a needle and thread to wrap hand-dyed strands of sisal (the inside fibers of an agave plant) around bunches of sweetgrass to create tightly coiled, durable baskets in an impressive range of patterns and colors. Depending on the size and shape, each basket can take one weaver anywhere from 60-70 hours to make!